Skip to main content

Should Christians Be Taught To Fight?

Can we ever truly just fight for something without having to fight against something else? Should (good) Christians fight against anything? What about religiosity? My first reaction to "The Soul of Hip Hop", by D W Hodge was how I was quite taken with his topic, methodological approach to communicating it, his passion and his testimony—who doesn’t like a good story? But I was left with some questions in the end and concerns that have left me wondering if this is a safe book for young and influential youth ministers to read? One could be persuaded to give in to a vigilantism or “we vs. them” stance in the Church. Not that we don’t have that already at times. Times are changing quickly. There is a tide that is upon us and an unidentified undertow that seems to be slowly eroding a foundation—whether it is the good parts of the foundation or the bad has to be discerned.

I found myself routing and cheering when Hodge used such terminology as “the domesticating of converts” being “mounted in church pews” after they have become “familiarized with the Christian cultural norms”. I too hate this aspect of “church” for I have seen so many converts prematurely abandoned as “dogs returning to their vomit”. But I do not see much historical ties with Hodge’s methodology and it would seem there should be. When he quotes Wilbert Shenk, “Western theology has weakened the force of the gospel message” and that Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount “cannot possibly be intended as the basis for ethical guidance” I thought of how many church fathers looked to Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount as a key to the Church, its mission, and holy living (Augustine, Fox, Wesley, Bonhoeffer). In fact, there isn’t much (if any) reference to holy living (evangelical style) in this book. And yet there is a “holy communing” that permeates this book that is highly attractive—a WYSIWYG format for achieving spiritual intimacy where Christ shows up in post-Emmaus fashion. But hasn’t the church always diverged at the road between social justice and personal holiness?

I found Hodge’s regurgitation of Niebuhr’s "Christ and Culture" refreshing as well as his ‘six junctures’ very informing and relevant. The mystery stage is a cocooning time, one I related to right away and it gave me great courage in my God. I would add “Transformation” after Enlightenment as the walk we must all take—or flight of the butterfly released from the cocoon of mystery. In the last 30-40 pages I began asking, “What about discipleship? I wonder how Hodge sees discipleship taking place and what he has seen as the fruit of this method?” I also wondered if 10 years of research was enough to be able to promote such a method. And when he gave his list of several key items from Hip Hop culture to facilitate growth I jotted in the margin, “A postmodern ministry model” that I have been waiting to see formulated! No one I have read has dealt with a reality noticed in the city—what Hodges calls “the fragmenting into orbiting communities” is a truism and more should be written on this. He quotes Edward Soja and the “exopolis” or “restructuring of urban form”—and unless I have been out of the loop, there needs to be more discussion about this occurrence.

I know what rims are but still not sure as to what timbs refer to. I love the Jesuz of Hip Hop, but I don’t see myself getting into one of those (or starting one of those) churches. I do believe I could better dialogue with those within the sphere of that ministry and support its efforts. Hodge’s approach to discipleship seems to come across as a ‘facilitator’s role’—a choice for post-moderns who fear knowledgeable predators. What about the historical church’s monastic catechumenate? Could it offer an ‘adoptive agency’ approach to the Hip Hop community that would prove effective in transformation? There has to be a guidance for the path and a Confession that would solidify the language and such a focus should prove beneficial. I also wonder as to what Hodge’s baptismal rites would look like. I do not agree with his “waiting for people to figure out their life and how Jesuz fits into it” as a biblical methodology. “Moving and growing in a relationship with Christ…” widens the gap of discipleship. It seems Hodges believes in chucking all of church history and starting over. But I really enjoyed this book! There are too many good things about it to leave it on a shelf or put it into a garage sale.

Popular posts from this blog

Banning Influencers at Church?

 You might be getting The Pour Over into your inbox each day as I do. As I read one of the highlighted articles, Why are cafes, restaurants, and even towns banning influences ?  I thought of two things: A popular video game and the Church. The [Galactic Civ] video game action arena is space and utilizes exploring with several different tactics. One is cultural expansion deploying techniques for taking over the galaxy using mods to influence other traveling species with your culture and therefore "quietly" take over the galaxy and win the game. You could also win by buying up all of the other planets (economic takeover--think China?), or by hostile takeovers and warfare (think Russia?).  I like to use the cultural takeover mostly these days. The article lists the reasons for the ban, one is logistical (small-town shops cannot handle triple+ visitors due to a rise in popularity resulting in more harm than good). I imagined a small church of older people spiking due to a popular

Revelation's Whore as Today's Culture

  https://thehustle.co/originals/why-you-almost-never-see-a-clock-at-the-mall The word “whore” may have different definitions to some, but I want to use it as a woman who markets herself for the sole purpose of robbing men of their life for her own gain--whatever her “gain” is: monetary, lust, or otherwise. She is the reverse-consumer and profiteer at the same time, a vampiress, a luxurious drunk, functioning alcoholic. Her appeal is a marketing scheme based on not just years of study, but an exquisite composition of research and development where she is both scientist and evidence, psychologist and client--in an endless cycle and sinister feedback loop of trial and error, hypothesis and investigation, feeding and consuming. All the while tricking you into believing you are the main character. But it isn’t about you. You have entered her Nirvana constructed for you to “remain inside” her. Once her legs are wrapped around you, she is sure to suck your life away. And as titillating a

Who you going to call?

I had a coworker who was a very-likeable person, but seemed in competition with everyone. He was a funny guy, I'll give him that, but most of the time engaged in rather shallow conversations. He knew a little about everything, which caused him to have an opinion about . . . well, everything. And his wit made you want to listen. Most of the time, it is a fun, light-hearted space to work in. Likeable people, are just that: likeable. There are several people I have worked with over the years like this--very friendly, likeable, fairly easy to talk to, yet never really wanted to go deeper. In fact, if conversation turned that way, they became uncomfortable and either remained silent, tried to change the subject, or simply left the circle.  We all need someone we can go deep with. This is the kind of person you'd want to tell others you know or ask if they do. They are not the kind of person you'd call if your spouse ended up in the hospital, or your parent died, or your kid was

Family Time Videos