Skip to main content

Three Leveled Conversion

Paul Hiebert wrote, "Conversion to Christ must encompass all three levels: behavior, beliefs, and the worldview that underlies these. Christians should live differently because they are Christians."

With so many in our nation today stating they are Christians, or they believe in God or the Bible but when pressed on the matter, they don't really know or understand what it is they profess. Hiebert challenges this position of people and thinking they are converted when it is very likely that they are not. He continues to expand these three lines of thought:

"However, if their behavior is based primarily on traditional rather than Christian beliefs, it becomes pagan ritual. Conversion must involve a transformation of beliefs, but if it is a change only of beliefs and not of behavior, it is false faith (James 2). Conversion may include a change in beliefs and behavior, but if the worldview is not transformed, in the long run the gospel is subverted and the result is a syncretistic Christo-paganism, which has the form of Christianity but not its essence. Christianity becomes a new magic and a new, subtler form of idolatry."

In other words and in a more formulaic approach:
Behavior + Based on traditional beliefs = pagan ritual
Belief change - Behavioral change = false faith
Belief change + Behavior change - worldview change = syncretistic Christ-paganism

I don't know about you but I do not want to waste my time with rituals for an alternative god, faith that is false and practices that may look Christian in form but have very little if any impact. I don't want to give my life to mediocrity or to a ho-hum status towards whateverism. I want my life to count for something greater. I don't want to cause others to think they are true Christian only to find that I am really making wolves in sheep's clothing. 

Hiebert is calling for a full-focused approach to seeing the core changed--where the behavior and the beliefs are changed, and that is at the worldview level.

"If behavioral change was the focus of the mission movement in the nineteenth century, and changed beliefs its focus in the twentieth century, then transforming worldviews must be its central task in the twenty-first century."

What will it take for us to see this accomplished in our churches and our homes today? It is an all church issue because it is a discipleship issue. Will you join me in taking up this compass to help steer us into a straighter journey with one another towards the kingdom living today?

(p12 of Paul G. Hiebert's, "Transforming Worldviews: An Anthropological Understanding of How People Change," Baker Academic, © 2008).


Popular posts from this blog

IN ESSENTIALS, UNITY

I just had a board meeting where I went over a study on the word "unity" and "divisions." The question that immediately came up was, "Well, Christians don't have to agree on everything...right?" My response went something like this, "Well, wouldn't we want to?" It hit the fan like a lead balloon, which is not at all what I had expected. I thought all of the other board members would be shouting, "Yes!" and giving me high-fives and chest bumps. Well, maybe not chest bumps at this age.  There were some other ideas, thoughts and opinions expressed, and I was like, "We just went over this study of like 25 verses that state we are to be unified and have no divisions among us. Why don't you get it?" Seems like I was the one who actually didn't get it. It wasn't that I thought my interpretations were wrong, the weren't. The question centered around their application. "How in the world are we to agree on e...

On the Knowledge of God

The knowledge of God is a vital part of the well-being of your life--spiritually and otherwise God desires for you to know Him, but even more, God desires to reveal Himself to you. The knowledge of God is hidden--you cannot just expect to gain it. You need to especially understand that many will say they have it when in fact they do not. However, those who truly know God have very specific things in common. The Word of God reveals to us the knowledge of God , but it isn’t the only place our knowledge of Him comes from. However, every other place we obtain our knowledge of God will never contradict the knowledge available to us in the written Word of God. When I speak of the knowledge of God, I attach the knowledge of Jesus Christ of Nazareth and the knowledge of the Spirit of God--the holy Trinity, three in One, King of the Universe, and of my heart. Proverbs 2:5 tells us that your deepest respect for God , or the fear of the Lord, will accompany the knowledge o...

Is God "Unchanging?"

In my devotional this week I was confronted with some thoughts I believe had their basis in unfounded truths. So I did some digging into what the Bible has to say (as well as a devotional guide I am reading). Some initial thoughts: 1. The Sun stays the same ... yet changes. How much can an object change yet still be referred to as unchanging? Time a factor. Scientists believe our sun could burn out in 5.5 billion years. So it is not in a big hurry. Shoo! Relatively speaking, the sun will be constant in my lifetime. 2. The Garden of Eden is said to have been perfect, yet it needed tending. To what extent does perfection not reach and still hold its meaning? Can things be perfect yet incomplete? Can the qualities of perfection still need to be maintained and be perfect? Can a garden not be perfect without the addition of a caretaker? Could the continual maintenance by God's first created human of a garden created to be incomplete add up to perfection? Perfection was not i...

Family Time Videos