Skip to main content

You Get What You Sacrificed For

A good marriage takes sacrifice.

This is a key principle that I have recently put into words after 20+ years of marriage.

I was recently talking with Tyler, my former roommate from college, romanticizing about the spiritual experiences of the past and wishing for more activity of God in my life today. We talked on this line for about an hour, but something he said to me has stuck with me ever since. "You got what you died for."

Tyler shared with me about a church service he attended where Rev. Helm was speaking and the people had a visitation from God in a very remarkable way. If you know anything about moments of spiritual stirrings, or of being thrilled by the Spirit, or of having your own personal revival in a service, then you will understand what I am about to say. A moment like this broke out in that service and when it came and left, Tyler said that Rev. Helm made the statement, "You got what you died for."

I know I could bemoan and bewail the glory days of spiritual blessings of my past and continue to wonder if those days were the best days and keep nostalgically hoping that better days are ahead. And to be honest, that is where I am--well, I fluctuate between hope and despair because as I get older I just don't see it happening. I think that is called cynicism, and I know it is a robber in disguise.

After Tyler's brilliant words to me, I added to them some words I read in my Bible app about God's work in our world. In the OT, the author pointed out that God's activity in our lives came through sacrifice. As people would go to the Temple and make sacrifices, this is where they would meet God. What I took away from that devotional thought that day was how much it made sense: If it is true that God enters into my life in areas where I sacrifice, it made more sense of what Jesus said about denying self, dying to self, and giving up my life for His sake rather than trying to keep my life for me. Then the key came to me, "I get what I sacrifice for."

A good Christianity takes sacrifice. This is probably a bad way to say it, but there it is, down on (virtual) paper.

I have been applying this to my marriage, and it works. Marriage takes sacrifice. As I give up myself, die to what makes me single and open up to what being a couple has for me, I find life, peace, joy, and oneness. Sure, I don't always get what I want in the moment, or I'm "not allowed" to spend money for something I want, or I don't get to spend time with whatever agenda I had for myself. But that is what it seems like in the moment. I am finding that as I die to those things, I am rewarded with what I really want--oneness with my wife. Sure, I have betrayed that oneness many times, but the truth of the principle still remains: I get what I sacrifice for.

So, in my adventure to reclaim the glory days that are yet to come (sorry Bruce, they won't pass me by), I seek to apply the same principle to my relationship with Jesus. I have much to work through here because in all honesty, I have been bitter for a long time about this, mad inside and disappointed with God that things are not different for me somehow. Just yesterday, he spoke to me a heavy truth I did not like to hear, "If you never experience anything great again, is not knowing me enough?" It was more than I could bear to hear these words, because the answer should be yes. Should be...

External sacrifices always take an internal sacrifice first. And this is a pretty big one for me.

Popular posts from this blog

Banning Influencers at Church?

 You might be getting The Pour Over into your inbox each day as I do. As I read one of the highlighted articles, Why are cafes, restaurants, and even towns banning influences ?  I thought of two things: A popular video game and the Church. The [Galactic Civ] video game action arena is space and utilizes exploring with several different tactics. One is cultural expansion deploying techniques for taking over the galaxy using mods to influence other traveling species with your culture and therefore "quietly" take over the galaxy and win the game. You could also win by buying up all of the other planets (economic takeover--think China?), or by hostile takeovers and warfare (think Russia?).  I like to use the cultural takeover mostly these days. The article lists the reasons for the ban, one is logistical (small-town shops cannot handle triple+ visitors due to a rise in popularity resulting in more harm than good). I imagined a small church of older people spiking due to a popular

Revelation's Whore as Today's Culture

  https://thehustle.co/originals/why-you-almost-never-see-a-clock-at-the-mall The word “whore” may have different definitions to some, but I want to use it as a woman who markets herself for the sole purpose of robbing men of their life for her own gain--whatever her “gain” is: monetary, lust, or otherwise. She is the reverse-consumer and profiteer at the same time, a vampiress, a luxurious drunk, functioning alcoholic. Her appeal is a marketing scheme based on not just years of study, but an exquisite composition of research and development where she is both scientist and evidence, psychologist and client--in an endless cycle and sinister feedback loop of trial and error, hypothesis and investigation, feeding and consuming. All the while tricking you into believing you are the main character. But it isn’t about you. You have entered her Nirvana constructed for you to “remain inside” her. Once her legs are wrapped around you, she is sure to suck your life away. And as titillating a

Who you going to call?

I had a coworker who was a very-likeable person, but seemed in competition with everyone. He was a funny guy, I'll give him that, but most of the time engaged in rather shallow conversations. He knew a little about everything, which caused him to have an opinion about . . . well, everything. And his wit made you want to listen. Most of the time, it is a fun, light-hearted space to work in. Likeable people, are just that: likeable. There are several people I have worked with over the years like this--very friendly, likeable, fairly easy to talk to, yet never really wanted to go deeper. In fact, if conversation turned that way, they became uncomfortable and either remained silent, tried to change the subject, or simply left the circle.  We all need someone we can go deep with. This is the kind of person you'd want to tell others you know or ask if they do. They are not the kind of person you'd call if your spouse ended up in the hospital, or your parent died, or your kid was

Family Time Videos