Skip to main content

HE'S A SHARING GOD

I asked my thirteen year old son if he had any stories of a time when he wished some other kids would have shared what they had with him. He said, "Tons of them."

What kid wouldn't.

I was reading in Leviticus today about God's instructions to how offerings should be made, how the priests were to give special attention to what was being offered, and how to present it. Then I read something that literally made me cry. 

God is telling about how the grain offering is to be given and eaten by the priests. Half of this grain offering is to be mixed with oil and frankenscence and burned as it belongs to God as "a thing most holy." But the other half, God says that Aaron, the high priest, and all 18 year old male priests can eat it saying, "I have given it as their portion of MY food offerings."

Wow. God shared. Think of it. Our GOD shares ... HIS stuff ... with us ... with me. 

So I wondered that since our God is a sharing God, what else does the Word says He shares? And does He share any of His stuff with me? To me, this is huge.

This revelation caused me to cry.

I had a vision--I walked with God through some old memeories. I was back in seminary listening to my professor speak about this passage and I said, "Wait! Does this say our God shares? God actually shares HIS stuff? With me?" And I wept there.

Next, I was like in kindergarten and I saw myself walking out to our elementary playground and a little girl was coloring with chalk on the sidewalk. She looked up to me and said, “Hey! Do you want to come over here and SHARE my chalk?” 

In my next vision, I was walking into a seminary cafeteria past a table with one of our foreign student's family sitting together getting ready to eat together. When the dad sees me, he smiles and says, “Hey! Would you want to come over here and SHARE a meal with my family?”  

God shares like the little girl. God shares like the family. God was showing ME that He wants to share with me.  

I then thought of pentecost and that when the Holy Spirit of God came upon the disciples, what did they do? They were big on SHARING. The word that describes those who share is FELLOWSHIP, which means "to have in common." We cannot have in common unless there we all share. Sharing is a mark of a true disciple because it is a true mark of God. 

Sharing is a wonderful attribute of God. It is not listed in any seminary book as one of God's great attributes, but it now stands out to me as one because I have experienced it. Thinking about sharing now makes me smile and love God more. 

After all, He shared Jesus --who was His very heart-- with us … with me.

Amen.

Popular posts from this blog

IN ESSENTIALS, UNITY

I just had a board meeting where I went over a study on the word "unity" and "divisions." The question that immediately came up was, "Well, Christians don't have to agree on everything...right?" My response went something like this, "Well, wouldn't we want to?" It hit the fan like a lead balloon, which is not at all what I had expected. I thought all of the other board members would be shouting, "Yes!" and giving me high-fives and chest bumps. Well, maybe not chest bumps at this age.  There were some other ideas, thoughts and opinions expressed, and I was like, "We just went over this study of like 25 verses that state we are to be unified and have no divisions among us. Why don't you get it?" Seems like I was the one who actually didn't get it. It wasn't that I thought my interpretations were wrong, the weren't. The question centered around their application. "How in the world are we to agree on e...

On the Knowledge of God

The knowledge of God is a vital part of the well-being of your life--spiritually and otherwise God desires for you to know Him, but even more, God desires to reveal Himself to you. The knowledge of God is hidden--you cannot just expect to gain it. You need to especially understand that many will say they have it when in fact they do not. However, those who truly know God have very specific things in common. The Word of God reveals to us the knowledge of God , but it isn’t the only place our knowledge of Him comes from. However, every other place we obtain our knowledge of God will never contradict the knowledge available to us in the written Word of God. When I speak of the knowledge of God, I attach the knowledge of Jesus Christ of Nazareth and the knowledge of the Spirit of God--the holy Trinity, three in One, King of the Universe, and of my heart. Proverbs 2:5 tells us that your deepest respect for God , or the fear of the Lord, will accompany the knowledge o...

Is God "Unchanging?"

In my devotional this week I was confronted with some thoughts I believe had their basis in unfounded truths. So I did some digging into what the Bible has to say (as well as a devotional guide I am reading). Some initial thoughts: 1. The Sun stays the same ... yet changes. How much can an object change yet still be referred to as unchanging? Time a factor. Scientists believe our sun could burn out in 5.5 billion years. So it is not in a big hurry. Shoo! Relatively speaking, the sun will be constant in my lifetime. 2. The Garden of Eden is said to have been perfect, yet it needed tending. To what extent does perfection not reach and still hold its meaning? Can things be perfect yet incomplete? Can the qualities of perfection still need to be maintained and be perfect? Can a garden not be perfect without the addition of a caretaker? Could the continual maintenance by God's first created human of a garden created to be incomplete add up to perfection? Perfection was not i...

Family Time Videos