Skip to main content

Dance Was Like Eating Meat Offered To Idols

I recently performed a wedding where the routine involved nothing new. It was outside of the church, but not outside my comfort zone. It was only later upon reflection and investigation by my daughter that I had to rethink some things, specifically  our dancing to a particular song.

I had actually looked forward to the dancing moments of this wedding. My wife and youngest son were home sick and since my daughter loves to dance with her daddy I thought it would be a fun binding moment for us.  So when our table was approached by a group of middle school-aged girls to come and dance with them I thought two things: 'How nice for them to ask us to join them', and 'OK, this will be fun with my daughter.' To refuse might offend as well as miss out on a moment with my kids (my middle son actually joined us too). But what I didn't know was what "wobble" meant--that was the name for the song (and dance) we were going participate in. It wasn't until the ride home that learned from my daughter that it wasn't a nice song. But first the experience.

The guy played the song, the girls unsuccessfully tugged at my oldest son, but we all followed the girls and the bride and other fun friends to the little dance floor. I soon discovered, 'Hey, this is a line dance...I can do this!" I was in show choir in high school and taught interpretive dance in my youth ministry and enjoyed playing the Cupid Shuffle and other group songs of the line dance variety. I quickly learned these dance moves of a couple shimmies, a move I called out loud "milk the cow" to the right, then to the left, and a cha-cha slide rotation and do it all again. No problem. I never listened to the words...I was engrossed in the faces of who I was with and to be honest getting into the song and having fun with my kids and the people on the floor...whom I think were involved the same as I was--just having some wedding celebratory fun with the guests.

Well as most songs do it came to an end, we smiled at the others and walked off the floor. I finished up some things with the bride and groom and calling the children headed to the van and drive into town for an errand my wife texted me about. Then we would be home. It was on the way toward running the errand that my daughter told me the song we danced to wasn't a very good song. She said to me, "Didn't you hear the words to the song?" I was like, "What?" She said, "I could read them to you," but said it with the tone that it wouldn't be good for the 'young kids' in the car. I had her Google the lyrics and took the phone with me as I went into the store.

It is kind of funny what you remember about the way things were to you and how they might have been to others; it makes you wonder what others were thing about the same event you were participating in having replayed it in your mind with the new thoughts you now had and seeing their faces again--and now I replayed those moments thinking about my role at the wedding, about the words of the song, about the girls who invited us to dance, about my sons and daughter, and about God. I sometimes think things bother me more than they do the average person too... and when I got back into the van I told me daughter had I known the words to the song I wouldn't have participated.

Funny what thoughts you have when you wake up. I woke up rather early playing over the one incident again. During my deliberation, wrestling about what people thought about my participation and what I myself should think about it. I cannot deny that it was fun and definitely memory making. Suddenly I found my mind wandering towards the passage where Paul spoke about meat being offered to an idol and how we should approach this event. I think it offered some help to me here.

1 Corinthians 10:23 “All things are lawful,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful,” but not all things build up. 24 Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor. 25 Eat whatever is sold in the meat market without raising any question on the ground of conscience. 26 For “the earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof.” 27 If one of the unbelievers invites you to dinner and you are disposed to go, eat whatever is set before you without raising any question on the ground of conscience. 28 But if someone says to you, “This has been offered in sacrifice,” then do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for the sake of conscience— 29 I do not mean your conscience, but his. For why should my liberty be determined by someone else's conscience? 30 If I partake with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of that for which I give thanks? 31 So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, 33 just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved.

The part of this passage that was helping me battle the "tyranny of the faces" was "if you are invited" and "without raising any questions". For now, my hope is that my daughter and I can continue to engage in conversation about this incident and any future ones, that God's Word will continue to guide us in our thoughts and behaviors, and somehow out of the things we do with others in this life, God will be glorified and people can be drawn to Him. --kk

Popular posts from this blog

Banning Influencers at Church?

 You might be getting The Pour Over into your inbox each day as I do. As I read one of the highlighted articles, Why are cafes, restaurants, and even towns banning influences ?  I thought of two things: A popular video game and the Church. The [Galactic Civ] video game action arena is space and utilizes exploring with several different tactics. One is cultural expansion deploying techniques for taking over the galaxy using mods to influence other traveling species with your culture and therefore "quietly" take over the galaxy and win the game. You could also win by buying up all of the other planets (economic takeover--think China?), or by hostile takeovers and warfare (think Russia?).  I like to use the cultural takeover mostly these days. The article lists the reasons for the ban, one is logistical (small-town shops cannot handle triple+ visitors due to a rise in popularity resulting in more harm than good). I imagined a small church of older people spiking due to a popular

Revelation's Whore as Today's Culture

  https://thehustle.co/originals/why-you-almost-never-see-a-clock-at-the-mall The word “whore” may have different definitions to some, but I want to use it as a woman who markets herself for the sole purpose of robbing men of their life for her own gain--whatever her “gain” is: monetary, lust, or otherwise. She is the reverse-consumer and profiteer at the same time, a vampiress, a luxurious drunk, functioning alcoholic. Her appeal is a marketing scheme based on not just years of study, but an exquisite composition of research and development where she is both scientist and evidence, psychologist and client--in an endless cycle and sinister feedback loop of trial and error, hypothesis and investigation, feeding and consuming. All the while tricking you into believing you are the main character. But it isn’t about you. You have entered her Nirvana constructed for you to “remain inside” her. Once her legs are wrapped around you, she is sure to suck your life away. And as titillating a

Who you going to call?

I had a coworker who was a very-likeable person, but seemed in competition with everyone. He was a funny guy, I'll give him that, but most of the time engaged in rather shallow conversations. He knew a little about everything, which caused him to have an opinion about . . . well, everything. And his wit made you want to listen. Most of the time, it is a fun, light-hearted space to work in. Likeable people, are just that: likeable. There are several people I have worked with over the years like this--very friendly, likeable, fairly easy to talk to, yet never really wanted to go deeper. In fact, if conversation turned that way, they became uncomfortable and either remained silent, tried to change the subject, or simply left the circle.  We all need someone we can go deep with. This is the kind of person you'd want to tell others you know or ask if they do. They are not the kind of person you'd call if your spouse ended up in the hospital, or your parent died, or your kid was

Family Time Videos