Skip to main content

Everyone Has a Story of Their First Time

I want to share today about what it is like for a man to make love to woman. (Now that I have your attention, I probably better not). However, everyone has a story of their first time. Which reminds me of a story; now, this story may or may not have happened to my family.

My dad was part of the rotary club because several of his friends were involved. My dad raised cattle and bred a certain kind of bovine and knew a lot about that sort of thing. He also had been in the county rodeos a few times riding bulls. He studied to become a doctor but having kids kept him from that pursuit.

We lived in a small town, where you know everyone and everyone knows you ...and your business. The rotary club advertised that a popular "sexpert" would be the guest speaker at the next meeting and share about how to make love to a woman. The rotary club never had such great attendance! The place was packed, but the guest speaker never showed up.

My dad's friend who was in charge and booked the "sexpert" was beyond worried. So he turned to his friend and asks him to bail him out, that is, my dad. "You've got to do something. Don't you know a lot about this stuff? Weren't you going to become a doctor?"

After not a little discussion, my dad finally gave in and spoke to the crowd of men mostly to help his friend out. Apparently, as the story goes, my dad knew his stuff and was able to share nearly 45 minutes on his topic! What he didn't know was what effect it was going to have on our small town.

When he got home that night, a lot later than usual (apparently answering questions), my mother asked him how things went. He responded as most men would, "Aight."
"How was the speaker?"
"Aight." Takes off shoes.
"Did Harry's 'sexpert' do a good job?"
"Never showed up." Hangs up coat.
"What? Well who spoke?"
*Gulp* "I did."
"YOU? What did you speak about?"
"Bull-riding." Takes off tie.
"Bull-riding???"
"Yep." And off to bed he went.
Leaving my mother to wonder, "Bull-riding."

The next day my mother and father were walking down the sidewalk of our small town creating quite a stir. Men came up to my dad and shook his hand smiling. Women giggled as he passed by and say things like, "There he is."

One woman came up to my mom and said, "You're the luckiest woman in the county!"
She gave my dad a quick glance, and since he had to go into the bank, my dad left mother there with the two ladies to talk. My mom inquired as to why she was so lucky. The women said, "Because of the talk your husband gave last night at the Rotary Club meeting."
"Well I don't know why, he's only done it twice," momma said, and then continued.
"The first time he lost his hat. The second time he swore he'd never do it again."

Everyone has a story. And you'll have a story to share someday too.

I can remember another story, the story when "a switch" came over me in sports. It came really too late in high school. I had wrestled 4th-5th & 6th grades in the first wrestling club started by a former state wrestler from our school. By the time Jr High came along I was a football, basketball, and track guy. I ditched football in High School (I wish I could say to focus on my grades) but I stayed with basketball and track. We got a new coach my senior year in basketball so I decided to go back to wrestling instead.

Everyone has a story. I was the kind of kid who was in sports mostly because of who else was playing. Winning was a team feeling and so was participating. It never occurred to me that I as an individual I could actually contribute in a solo way to make a difference for the good of the team.

I call the change "playing from the heart."

There were about three matches left in the season and I was still waiting for my first victory. Whatever I had learned in 4-6th grade didn't come back quickly. We had a scrawny junior high kid named Tory who helped out with water bottles and stuff. He and I were the last two in the locker room and were getting ready to head out when he said to me, "Are you going to win tonight, Kent?"
I thought he was a cute kid, and it a rather rhetorical question but when i turned to look at him he was standing there waiting for me to give him an answer. How DO you answer?

What would you have said?

Now, I wasn't a liar. I had relied so much on my team before this in other sports--basketball with five guys, football was with 10 others; but not even in track was I ever once asked that question and had someone wait for an answer.

Everyone has a story. That moment and whatever that question did to me changed me. That night and every match after I wrestled differently. I went out and wrestled from the heart and after three periods lost by one point, 13-14. When I came off the mat, the team had noticed a difference
and I remember Todd Dean, State Qualifer for several years came up to me, and he had never done this before, with a big smile gave me a big hug and lifting me up said, "That was awesome!"

Something happened in my heart that made my mind more focused and I practiced differently. 

At districts, I finally did get my first win.

Everyone has a story and for you there needs to be a defining moment in your story. 

By the way Tory, that scrawny Jr High kid, went on to be a star QB and lead his team on to play for state championship.

Everyone needs a defining moment; for some it comes early maybe junior high. For others it comes late in their senior year. But whenever it comes, and however it comes, whether by an awesome coach or an awesome waterboy, you need to answer the question and it needs to be for you!

And it could be today, for you; it could be this season of your life. The "Are you going to win?" question was MY question. It might be yours too, but it might be another one. The same question will come to you for eternity and for the love of Jesus Christ and for bringing a change to your community. The same question will come to you for a man or woman someday, and for your kids and for your family. You need to have answer. I pity the boy who has the answer but never gets asked the question, so I am going to ask:

Are YOU going to win?

It's not about them--whoever them is in your life; it is about a seed way down in your heart that you need to allow out and grow ... are you going to win?

Can you really do it? I challenge you today: PLAY FROM THE HEART!

PLAY FROM THE HEART! And no matter how you do, you will be a winner for your team, school, your family, and your Savior!

Everyone has a story of their first time. 

The first time they played from the heart.

I'd love to hear your story sometime. Just as much, I'd love to see it in action!

Popular posts from this blog

Banning Influencers at Church?

 You might be getting The Pour Over into your inbox each day as I do. As I read one of the highlighted articles, Why are cafes, restaurants, and even towns banning influences ?  I thought of two things: A popular video game and the Church. The [Galactic Civ] video game action arena is space and utilizes exploring with several different tactics. One is cultural expansion deploying techniques for taking over the galaxy using mods to influence other traveling species with your culture and therefore "quietly" take over the galaxy and win the game. You could also win by buying up all of the other planets (economic takeover--think China?), or by hostile takeovers and warfare (think Russia?).  I like to use the cultural takeover mostly these days. The article lists the reasons for the ban, one is logistical (small-town shops cannot handle triple+ visitors due to a rise in popularity resulting in more harm than good). I imagined a small church of older people spiking due to a popular

Revelation's Whore as Today's Culture

  https://thehustle.co/originals/why-you-almost-never-see-a-clock-at-the-mall The word “whore” may have different definitions to some, but I want to use it as a woman who markets herself for the sole purpose of robbing men of their life for her own gain--whatever her “gain” is: monetary, lust, or otherwise. She is the reverse-consumer and profiteer at the same time, a vampiress, a luxurious drunk, functioning alcoholic. Her appeal is a marketing scheme based on not just years of study, but an exquisite composition of research and development where she is both scientist and evidence, psychologist and client--in an endless cycle and sinister feedback loop of trial and error, hypothesis and investigation, feeding and consuming. All the while tricking you into believing you are the main character. But it isn’t about you. You have entered her Nirvana constructed for you to “remain inside” her. Once her legs are wrapped around you, she is sure to suck your life away. And as titillating a

Who you going to call?

I had a coworker who was a very-likeable person, but seemed in competition with everyone. He was a funny guy, I'll give him that, but most of the time engaged in rather shallow conversations. He knew a little about everything, which caused him to have an opinion about . . . well, everything. And his wit made you want to listen. Most of the time, it is a fun, light-hearted space to work in. Likeable people, are just that: likeable. There are several people I have worked with over the years like this--very friendly, likeable, fairly easy to talk to, yet never really wanted to go deeper. In fact, if conversation turned that way, they became uncomfortable and either remained silent, tried to change the subject, or simply left the circle.  We all need someone we can go deep with. This is the kind of person you'd want to tell others you know or ask if they do. They are not the kind of person you'd call if your spouse ended up in the hospital, or your parent died, or your kid was

Family Time Videos