Skip to main content

Prideful Students Make for Horrible Teachers

Below is a post I made to my fifth online class I am currently teaching. I felt it necessary because the thoughts have been building up within me. I know what it is like to have become a learner again. I try to keep this mentality in life: with my wife, my kids, my coworkers, my students, my fellow Jesus followers, and with those in the world. Remaining a life-long learner is so important, even critical.

I would love your response. Pick a point of contention and give me some feedback or even pushback. Either way, I want to learn from you.

>>>>>>>
This could be you. One of the things I remember in going back to school for my 2nd masters and then my doctorate is the feeling of angst in that first class. It took a couple sessions for me to remember that I was not a teacher but a student. I needed to come down from my being a teacher for many years and sit again with a humble mind and heart to learn from those who have given their lives to study and know what it is they are teaching. This might not be you ... yet. 

One of the things that is easy to miss, and I say easy because most of my students are guilty of doing this. I could be wrong, but what it seems like to me is that either they are not doing the reading and think it acceptable to just ramble their own thoughts on the topic "just to get the work done and turn it in" and then fight me for a good grade; OR they do the reading but 1) do not either know how to synthesize what they have read enough to engage their minds to learn and assimilate the truth into themselves and then once it has been actualized within, restate in their own words what they now believe (from their upgraded self & mind), or 2) they don't like what they read for whatever reason and still just give me what they want to. 

This is not called learning. 

There is minimal skill applied here. 

God is worthy of much more. 

We need to be growing from who we were into who God has predestined us to be = conformed into the image of His Son. 

God loves you and accepted you where you were, but he also loves you too much to leave you there. We will not grow unless we are challenged. Even a seed must sprout and use energy to lift the ground off its head to emerge onto the scene. My fear for my students is that they will not become good students and therefore know how to lead others in being good students either. 

The reading for ENTIRE SANCTIFICATION is one instance where the above has taken place with several of you. You have given me what you think it means. It does not mean Jesus. It does not mean sinless. It does not mean that someone has arrived at a position where they cannot sin nor be tempted to sin. If these are found in your definitions or posts or papers, it can only mean that the wrong ways of learning as a student above ... is you. 

Become a good student. I beg you, we need good leaders today who have paid the price to do the hard work of sitting still, thinking, and learning from THE teacher of all teachers, and through His servants the truth that has always been and always will be. For the sake of the next generation, I beg you, be a LIFELONG learner! ALways stay humble, never become a know-it-all, Lord over others sort of person. Stay real and relational and a lover of all people because you are a continual learner of Jesus. 

If the above is you, please stop. Stop trying to teach me and the others in your class and instead be a learner with us. Share what you are learning. I challenge you to take this time you are having now in this course to invest in being a humble learner. 

Popular posts from this blog

Banning Influencers at Church?

 You might be getting The Pour Over into your inbox each day as I do. As I read one of the highlighted articles, Why are cafes, restaurants, and even towns banning influences ?  I thought of two things: A popular video game and the Church. The [Galactic Civ] video game action arena is space and utilizes exploring with several different tactics. One is cultural expansion deploying techniques for taking over the galaxy using mods to influence other traveling species with your culture and therefore "quietly" take over the galaxy and win the game. You could also win by buying up all of the other planets (economic takeover--think China?), or by hostile takeovers and warfare (think Russia?).  I like to use the cultural takeover mostly these days. The article lists the reasons for the ban, one is logistical (small-town shops cannot handle triple+ visitors due to a rise in popularity resulting in more harm than good). I imagined a small church of older people spiking due to a popular

Revelation's Whore as Today's Culture

  https://thehustle.co/originals/why-you-almost-never-see-a-clock-at-the-mall The word “whore” may have different definitions to some, but I want to use it as a woman who markets herself for the sole purpose of robbing men of their life for her own gain--whatever her “gain” is: monetary, lust, or otherwise. She is the reverse-consumer and profiteer at the same time, a vampiress, a luxurious drunk, functioning alcoholic. Her appeal is a marketing scheme based on not just years of study, but an exquisite composition of research and development where she is both scientist and evidence, psychologist and client--in an endless cycle and sinister feedback loop of trial and error, hypothesis and investigation, feeding and consuming. All the while tricking you into believing you are the main character. But it isn’t about you. You have entered her Nirvana constructed for you to “remain inside” her. Once her legs are wrapped around you, she is sure to suck your life away. And as titillating a

Who you going to call?

I had a coworker who was a very-likeable person, but seemed in competition with everyone. He was a funny guy, I'll give him that, but most of the time engaged in rather shallow conversations. He knew a little about everything, which caused him to have an opinion about . . . well, everything. And his wit made you want to listen. Most of the time, it is a fun, light-hearted space to work in. Likeable people, are just that: likeable. There are several people I have worked with over the years like this--very friendly, likeable, fairly easy to talk to, yet never really wanted to go deeper. In fact, if conversation turned that way, they became uncomfortable and either remained silent, tried to change the subject, or simply left the circle.  We all need someone we can go deep with. This is the kind of person you'd want to tell others you know or ask if they do. They are not the kind of person you'd call if your spouse ended up in the hospital, or your parent died, or your kid was

Family Time Videos