Skip to main content

What a Bad Stain on Your Carpet Does

My daughter worked on her graduation display after I went to bed at 10:30pm. At 12:15am, she spoke into my bedroom, "Dad, I need your help with something. I spilled some paint on the carpet."

My grogginess soon dissipated when I walked into the living room and saw an eight-inch circle of deep black. She had reached for something and turned over a pint full of tempera paint and had already attempted cleaning it up. "This happened in your bedroom once before ... and why we told you to have plenty of newspaper down..." No speech would help her (or the carpet) at this point, so I stopped, turned and headed for the Oxi-clean. 

It was my problem now. 

I could stop there because that is the crux of the theological moment for a life lesson that happened that night. At least the summary of what God spoke to my heart as I headed back up the stairs to go to bed. 

We are going into the Pentecost season starting Sunday, and I am filling in the pulpit at a church south of Marion. The text I am speaking on is Psalm 103:1-5, which begins with, "Bless the Lord, oh my soul." David then commanded his soul to, "forget not all of His benefits," and then lists five. I wish to focus on the first benefit, "Who forgives all your transgressions." 

Who forgives ALL your transgressions.

There are many things in life we will never forget. Some of those things are because we have a constant reminder of the choices we made or that life has brought to us: a scar, a missing finger, glasses, a wedding ring (or tan-line where one once was), our children, a dent in a fender of a car, or an eight-inch black spot on your carpet. 

There are some things in life we just do. Forget that is. 

God has a good memory for some things. God also chooses to not remember some other things. God spoke through the prophet Isaiah and basically told his people, "A nursing mother may forget her child, but I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands" (Isaiah 49:15-16).

Oh, yes, tattoos are also good reminders.

On the contrary, Isaiah also tells us about something God chooses to forget. "I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins" (Isaiah 43:25-26 ESV).

God repeats himself through the prophet Jeremiah telling his people the extent of the covenant he desires to make with them, which includes putting his law in their minds, writing it on their hearts, being their God, claiming them as His my people, and being known by them personally. God closes with these words, “For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more” Jeremiah 31:33-34 (NIV).
So God remembers, and then He doesn't. I am thankful for both. But here's the thing God spoke to me about as I ascended those few tiring steps to my bedroom. After I unsuccessfully used the steam cleaner to extract all of the paint from the carpet, after I had pulled some of that paint into nearby carpeting, after I painstakingly dabbed tissue after tissue (she used up all our paper towels) to clean up what I could, after she apologized twice, after I said, "I am sorry too," and after I had kissed her on the top of the head, the gentle voice of God reminded me and my heart of His truth. This is what came through.

Sin. Like a black spot on my carpet, is His problem now.

There isn't really anything anyone can do for that black spot on my carpet. Well, at least I do not know that there is. But it's my problem now. I have taken over responsibility for seeking to deal with it--to clean it or leave it, or work around it. I could use it as a constant reminder of the bad things my daughter has done and bring it up whenever I want to for whatever purposes I see fit to. I could also refuse to do that and do nothing as I allow the black spot to be a constant reminder to her (and the rest of us) of mistakes that can be made. But seriously, it is my problem now.

At Pentecost, Jesus came to his people again. This time in Spirit as a holy flame prophesied by Joel, validated by Peter, and witnessed by over 3,000 who were baptized by water and fire that day. John Wesley had an experience where he knew in his warmed heart, that Christ had died for his sins, "even mine" he said, and he was given an assurance of it. His sin was God's problem. And God took care of it in Jesus. And the Holy Spirit of LOVE that came into his heart with an assurance of faith was proof that God had dealt with his sin.

Forgiveness. Assurance. Faith. Love. The problem was more than solved.

I cannot do what only God can do.

But I am thinking about cutting a piece of carpet from the closet to replace the section where a black spot is.

In due time. --kk

"Just as I am, and waiting not, to rid my soul of one dark blot
to thee whose blood can cleanse each spot! 
O Lamb of God, I come, I come"

Popular posts from this blog

Banning Influencers at Church?

 You might be getting The Pour Over into your inbox each day as I do. As I read one of the highlighted articles, Why are cafes, restaurants, and even towns banning influences ?  I thought of two things: A popular video game and the Church. The [Galactic Civ] video game action arena is space and utilizes exploring with several different tactics. One is cultural expansion deploying techniques for taking over the galaxy using mods to influence other traveling species with your culture and therefore "quietly" take over the galaxy and win the game. You could also win by buying up all of the other planets (economic takeover--think China?), or by hostile takeovers and warfare (think Russia?).  I like to use the cultural takeover mostly these days. The article lists the reasons for the ban, one is logistical (small-town shops cannot handle triple+ visitors due to a rise in popularity resulting in more harm than good). I imagined a small church of older people spiking due to a popular

Revelation's Whore as Today's Culture

  https://thehustle.co/originals/why-you-almost-never-see-a-clock-at-the-mall The word “whore” may have different definitions to some, but I want to use it as a woman who markets herself for the sole purpose of robbing men of their life for her own gain--whatever her “gain” is: monetary, lust, or otherwise. She is the reverse-consumer and profiteer at the same time, a vampiress, a luxurious drunk, functioning alcoholic. Her appeal is a marketing scheme based on not just years of study, but an exquisite composition of research and development where she is both scientist and evidence, psychologist and client--in an endless cycle and sinister feedback loop of trial and error, hypothesis and investigation, feeding and consuming. All the while tricking you into believing you are the main character. But it isn’t about you. You have entered her Nirvana constructed for you to “remain inside” her. Once her legs are wrapped around you, she is sure to suck your life away. And as titillating a

Who you going to call?

I had a coworker who was a very-likeable person, but seemed in competition with everyone. He was a funny guy, I'll give him that, but most of the time engaged in rather shallow conversations. He knew a little about everything, which caused him to have an opinion about . . . well, everything. And his wit made you want to listen. Most of the time, it is a fun, light-hearted space to work in. Likeable people, are just that: likeable. There are several people I have worked with over the years like this--very friendly, likeable, fairly easy to talk to, yet never really wanted to go deeper. In fact, if conversation turned that way, they became uncomfortable and either remained silent, tried to change the subject, or simply left the circle.  We all need someone we can go deep with. This is the kind of person you'd want to tell others you know or ask if they do. They are not the kind of person you'd call if your spouse ended up in the hospital, or your parent died, or your kid was

Family Time Videos