Skip to main content

What if Metallica Came to YOUR Church?


This book caused me to rethink some of my foundational theologies, specifically Creation and the Fall. If God created us in His image and declared His creation as ‘very good’, what consequences did the sin of Adam and Eve have upon us? How deep does it go? I have some very strong thinking patterns that hold everything as either good or bad, God’s or Satan’s, black or white. This either/or (dualistic?) outlook doesn’t leave room for the mysterious. But what if all of these things were meant to lead me to something more? What if I always stopped short because I was led to believe that when I came to a certain point I had arrived—mission complete--stop here and move on to another subject? And what if that wasn't true?

I was challenged by the thought of how God speaks to us outside of the Bible. I have believed that God speaks to me through many things (creation, others, His Spirit, circumstances) but they would always be under the Scriptural rule--the Bible was more important than anything else. The final step therefore was knowing the Bible. But what if that isn’t the final step? What if there is more? What if other things can speak just as authoritatively?

John Calvin believed, “All truth is inspired by the Holy Spirit” and therefore all truth is God’s truth—wherever we find it. The author states, “God is described in the Bible; in creation He is observed, felt and experienced. To know God in both senses we need both reading glasses and a telescope” (74). Calvin is again quoted, “Wherever we cast our gaze we can spot signs of God’s glory, disclosed in the whole workmanship of the universe” (24). My challenge is then: Developing the skills in recognizing wherever God’s Spirit is at work. I could just be a consumer who has forgotten God has given me taste buds. What does this say about God? Why not a mouth to consume and another to talk so I could do both at the same time? What do tasting, chewing, savoring, and the making of recipes say about God?

I was challenged in a similar way a few years ago when the United Methodist’s Women’s group in the church I was pastoring stated they didn’t want to be involved as UM Women but did periodically meet together for ladies fellowship. The reason was because the funds that were contributed to the UMW were being spent in ways they believed they shouldn’t be—specifically the support of the United Way. The United Way has been known to give funding to groups whom the UM women didn’t want to support--and didn't want UMW at a national level to do so either. When asked by the UMW President in our district why the women’s group at the church wasn’t involved, I explained this reasoning to her. Her comment was: “The United Way does so many good things for people; would we give up on a person just because he or she did one thing wrong?” I know God doesn't give up on me in the many times I have been wrong.

“How much darkness do I endure to find one beacon of light?” The author's answer was, “The LINE often moves.” There is NO piece of this good yet broken world that God does not claim as His own (119). If we are going to follow Jesus’ lead then we must be willing to cross over some lines—or extend them further ahead of us than we previously had thought. I struggle with this. When I as a manager, I had control over the radio. I dialed in stations that offered Christian programming. One of the workers approached me and asked that during certain times of the day if we could share the air—and have their station play at this time and my station play at another. I conceded but was plagued with the belief that I shouldn’t be listening to that music. I wrote it off as a "no control/no conflict" situation. I wish I had been mature enough to look at it differently.

Behind our backs we have all been hacked--we all have a virus called sin—a worm that takes over our hard drive hearts. We have all been taken control of by an outside spirit, at one time or another. But another thing is happening behind our backs too--we are being saved (109). “Yes, sin infects everything but it does not have the capacity to destroy anything” (120). The worst people imaginable still bear the image of their Creator. It’s their inherently good gifts that get twisted and perverted for evil (121). My hope is they can be pulled back into the light to use their gifts for good in this world before they have a sudden exit. Is this where you would place the music group Metallica? What would you DO if Metallica came to YOUR church?

Popular posts from this blog

Banning Influencers at Church?

 You might be getting The Pour Over into your inbox each day as I do. As I read one of the highlighted articles, Why are cafes, restaurants, and even towns banning influences ?  I thought of two things: A popular video game and the Church. The [Galactic Civ] video game action arena is space and utilizes exploring with several different tactics. One is cultural expansion deploying techniques for taking over the galaxy using mods to influence other traveling species with your culture and therefore "quietly" take over the galaxy and win the game. You could also win by buying up all of the other planets (economic takeover--think China?), or by hostile takeovers and warfare (think Russia?).  I like to use the cultural takeover mostly these days. The article lists the reasons for the ban, one is logistical (small-town shops cannot handle triple+ visitors due to a rise in popularity resulting in more harm than good). I imagined a small church of older people spiking due to a popular

Revelation's Whore as Today's Culture

  https://thehustle.co/originals/why-you-almost-never-see-a-clock-at-the-mall The word “whore” may have different definitions to some, but I want to use it as a woman who markets herself for the sole purpose of robbing men of their life for her own gain--whatever her “gain” is: monetary, lust, or otherwise. She is the reverse-consumer and profiteer at the same time, a vampiress, a luxurious drunk, functioning alcoholic. Her appeal is a marketing scheme based on not just years of study, but an exquisite composition of research and development where she is both scientist and evidence, psychologist and client--in an endless cycle and sinister feedback loop of trial and error, hypothesis and investigation, feeding and consuming. All the while tricking you into believing you are the main character. But it isn’t about you. You have entered her Nirvana constructed for you to “remain inside” her. Once her legs are wrapped around you, she is sure to suck your life away. And as titillating a

Who you going to call?

I had a coworker who was a very-likeable person, but seemed in competition with everyone. He was a funny guy, I'll give him that, but most of the time engaged in rather shallow conversations. He knew a little about everything, which caused him to have an opinion about . . . well, everything. And his wit made you want to listen. Most of the time, it is a fun, light-hearted space to work in. Likeable people, are just that: likeable. There are several people I have worked with over the years like this--very friendly, likeable, fairly easy to talk to, yet never really wanted to go deeper. In fact, if conversation turned that way, they became uncomfortable and either remained silent, tried to change the subject, or simply left the circle.  We all need someone we can go deep with. This is the kind of person you'd want to tell others you know or ask if they do. They are not the kind of person you'd call if your spouse ended up in the hospital, or your parent died, or your kid was

Family Time Videos